Do Not Lose Heart!

I woke this morning from an encouraging dream.  In the dream I was sitting at a round table with my sisters in Christ.  We were sharing things from our hearts and patiently listening to one another's stories of our day to day lives.

I was greatly encouraged in my dream and as my turn arrived to share, I began to weep uncontrollably as I shared with my friends that I had been able to preach the gospel to my father.

When I awoke, I realized that everything in the dream was true to life!  

I know why I was weeping in the dream, because even now as I try to write this testimony down my heart is filled with great joy!  Overwhelmed by the opportunity God has given me!

I remember, as if it was yesterday, the day that my Daddy told me he was leaving.   I was three years old and as I stood there, hyperventilating as I cried, my dad told me to stop crying.  I was devastated.  As a  little girl I would dream that one day my parents would remarry.

God provided me with a wonderful father when my mother remarried but nothing could heal that pain in my heart.  Over the course of my life my father and I have stayed in communication but visiting him was usually only an annual occurrence.

Now my dad has stage 4 cancer and so last year I broke the 10 year record by traveling with my two youngest boys, the youngest he had never met.

We were warmly received by my dad and I could see that although he has not made me a priority in his life, he loved me the only way that he knew how.

Several years ago, while on the phone with my Dad,  I conveyed how God had provided a piano for my family supernaturally as I had prayed and waited on him.  Even before I was finished sharing, my dad began to yell at me and tell me that "God doesn't do that Karen!"

After I hung up, I realized that I was not shaken in the least by my dad's rejection of my testimony!
I was so excited because I knew at that moment my identity was no longer wrapped up in being loved and accepted by my earthly father but I had full confidence in the unfailing faithful love of my heavenly Father.

A few years have passed since that transaction and I have seen the Lord use me to reveal to my dad how the Lord loves.  In the past year my dad has allowed me to share great testimonies of God's faithfulness without rejecting it, even to the extent of saying; "Karen, I have never met anyone like you."

I know God has been chipping away at the mortar of the stronghold my dad has erected in his mind about God.

As my family planned a vacation to visit my dad this summer,  I began to ask my sisters to pray a prayer from Colossians 4

At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ,... - that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.

Knowing that this may be the last time I have to share the gospel with my dad in person, I asked my friends to pray for me to have the boldness I needed to clearly communicate the gospel.  I asked that they would pray for the Lord to prepare my Dad's heart to receive the truth.

I know that prayer has a bearing on a person's life whether they believe it or not.

As Paul talks about advancing the Gospel in Philippians 1, he declares that it doesn't  matter how you proclaim it as long as it is proclaimed.  He goes on to say:

for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance...

So yesterday, as we were driving to the beach with my dad and his wife,  my dad said,
"I don't want to discuss religion, but how do you know there is a heaven."

I began to answer, fully expecting him to stop me at several points, and before I knew it, the Spirit had helped me to boldly proclaim the truth of the gospel to my Dad.  He never once interrupted or contested a single thing that I said.

I rejoice in the opportunity that God made for the mystery of Christ to be declared!

Recently, I had been at a prayer service for children and the reading that day was set in Luke 18.

The beginning of the chapter struck my heart with a powerful blow.

And he (Jesus) told them a parable to the effect that they ought always pray and not lose heart.

In that meeting I realized that I had lost heart.  I felt like my Dad coming to Christ was a lost cause.  I realized that Jesus knew that I would lose heart when I prayed.  He spoke specifically to us so that we would NOT lose heart.

This parable speaks of a widow who continually came to a judge who neither feared God nor respected man.  She came continually before this judge seeking justice against her adversary.

For a while he refused, but afterward he said to himself, "Though I neither fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will give her justice, so that she will know beat me down by her continual coming.  And the Lord said,
"Hear what the unrighteous judge says. And will not God give justice to his elect, who cry to him day and night?  Will he delay long over them? I tell you, he will give justice to them speedily.  Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"

I realized that day that I had lost heart and so I asked the Lord to forgive me for my lack of faith.

You see, despite how hopeless a situation seems, God wants us to continually bring those requests to him.  

Philippians 4:4-6
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  


I want to remind you today, whatever you have been discouraged in, whether it is for the salvation of your loved ones, a healing or a temptation that you are facing, God is NOT an unrighteous judge but the only righteous one!

He desires to answer the prayers of those who abide in Him.

John 15:7-9 shows us that when He answers our prayers He is glorified and we are proven to be His disciples!

If you abide in me and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

His desire is that we glorify Him in our lives and that we bear much fruit which is the evidence that we are His disciples!

Do not lose heart!  Jesus has given us an encouraging word to live by as we pray!

I look forward to the day my Dad believes and receives the truth of who Jesus is and submits to His leadership!  I keep hearing my voice saying....


I stand in awe and wait expectantly with thanksgiving for the day of salvation full of faith!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

Psalm 125

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed