Are You Allowing God to Comfort You?

My 17 year old cat died over Thanksgiving weekend and although she lived a long full life she left a vacancy in our hearts.  

The morning following my cat's death I had an unusual visitor on my pillow for the next two mornings.  My calico cat, who is young and healthy, laid on the top of my pillow purring.  I couldn't help but remember how my cats from my childhood would do the same thing and how if brought me so much comfort.

I don't' know why I am always surprised when the Lord uses ordinary things to comfort us.

Jesus himself said,  
"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."  

Jeremiah 31:13
Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance, 
and the young men and the old shall be merry.  
I will turn their mourning into joy; 
I will comfort them, 
and give them gladness for sorrow.  


2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 
who comforts us in all our affliction, 
so that we may be able to 
comfort those who are in any affliction, 
with the comfort with which we 
ourselves are comforted by God.  

The purpose behind God comforting us is so that we may be able to comfort others.  He pours out His love and affection toward us and then we are to turn around and give it to others.

Our God is so kind to comfort us and bring our hearts peace if we will only allow Him to comfort us. Often times self pity wants to take front and center in which case we refuse the comfort that the Lord has provided for us.  By holding onto and dwelling on how everything is effecting us, we put an arm out towards the Lord, telling him in essence that we don't want His comfort.

This selfish affront to the comforting arms of the Lord means that we refuse to comfort or even to see what someone else is struggling with because we are so fixated on our own struggle.

God wants to comfort us.  He is the God of ALL comfort.  He wants to satisfy the longing of our hearts.  He wants us to feed on His faithful love and affection, yet like Israel, often times we will not allow Him to comfort us.

There is so much more when we allow Him to comfort us!

Jeremiah 31:14
The priests will enjoy abundance, 
and my people will feast on my good gifts.  
I, the LORD, have spoken!

When we don't allow God to comfort us then we will not enjoy His abundance and His good gifts.

Are you allowing God to comfort you today or are you maintaining your ground of self pity?

Abba, help us to release our self pity and pride and allow You to comfort us.  We want to experience your goodness and kindness so that we can, in turn, give it away to others in need, not maintain our hurt or disappointment for our own satisfaction.   We acknowledge that we will never be satisfied holding onto things that You are willing to bring comfort to us through.

We thank you that we are never alone and that You are the God of all comfort and You want us to enjoy an abundant life in You!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

Psalm 125

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed