Trusting In God Ensures That We Maintain Our Spiritual Inertia

Inertia is a property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion.  Newton's first law of motion is referred to as the law of inertia and states that an object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and direction unless acted upon by an outside unbalanced force.

You have experienced this law first hand when you are in the car and someone slams on the breaks,  Your body wants to continue moving forward due to inertia however the car stopping abruptly causes you to be drawn back into your seat, although you initially were leaning forward as your body tried to maintain the same rate of motion.

Although the laws of physics dictate the response of the physical world around us, we as believers must maintain our state of rest no matter the unbalanced abrupt interactions we have throughout our day.

Rest is of utmost importance in order to maintain a joy filled life that displays the grace of God to those around us.  If we allow outside circumstances to rattle our rest, we are giving way to the forces that are trying to get us wrapped up in our circumstances and ultimately not trust God.

Trusting God and leaning into His faithfulness ensures that we rest in Him.  In all my striving I can never earn favor with God but thanks be to God that Christ Jesus made a way for me to stand clothed in righteousness before God and because of His redemptive work we can rest from our work.

When we allow our hearts and minds to be move with our circumstances and interactions with people, we deprive ourselves of the grace that God has provided for us to maintain spiritual inertia.

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, 
all whose thoughts are fixed on you!  
Isaiah 26:3

If we are rattled, do we explode, spilling out from our cups in anger?  We think that the situation conjured up this anger and it is not our fault but we fell prey to the situation.  Actually, when our cups are jostled, what spills out was always there.

In order to maintain a state of spiritual inertia we must commune with God through reading His word and prayer.  As we do this our hearts are transformed by the washing of the water of His Spirit and we are changed from the inside out.  What tendencies we used to portray when rattled now come under the Lordship of Christ and it is He who maintains our composure for our good and His glory.

Abba, you know what struggles and challenges we will face today, help us to maintain a heart postured in Your presence so that you can absorb any unbalanced forces that try to stir our hearts and get us to spill out of the confines of your ordained rest.  We want to glorify you in all that we do and say so help us to maintain our spiritual inertia as we trust You to walk with us through the difficulties of life.


The Lord is my shepherd;

    I have all that I need.

He lets me rest in green meadows;

    he leads me beside peaceful streams.


    He renews my strength.


He guides me along right paths,

    bringing honor to his name.

Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
    My cup overflows with blessings.
Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
    all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
    forever.


Comments

  1. I really appreciate your insight and taking time to write and share with us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my joy! By the grace of God I am able to make connections to share!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

Psalm 125

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed