Forgiveness

Yesterday my oldest son Elijah and my middle son Caleb were outside enjoying time together in the snow.  They were building a snow fort.  Suddenly they burst into the house, Caleb crying and Elijah obviously furious.  They both began to spew incriminating evidence against the other.  From what I gathered they were both at fault but Caleb's action had caused retaliation by Elijah. 

Elijah announced very emphatically that, "I am NEVER going to play with you outside again!!!!!", and he stormed off to his room.  Caleb was hurt and standing there naked and so I instructed him to get dressed.  As I prepared dinner the Holy Spirit brought to my attention the fact that Elijah was not going to forgive Caleb.  I quickly remember several scriptures:

   
25 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. (Mark 11:25, New King James Version)

   
20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21 And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also. (1 John 4:20-21, New King James Version)

   
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
(Matthew 18:21, New King James Version)

2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. 3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. 4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him.” (Luke 17:2-4, New King James Version)


 18 If I regard iniquity in my heart,
         The Lord will not hear. (Psalm 66:18, New King James Version)


I called Elijah out and told he and Caleb that they were going to my bedroom to sit on the bed and talk and they were not allowed to come out until they had worked it out. As they were in the room I thought maybe I should let them know that if they are having a difficult time forgiving each other that they should pray and ask God to help them to forgive one another.

Before I could intervene they emerged from the bedroom with humility on their faces. They informed me that they prayed before they started to talk it out!!!!! I was soooooo pleased that the Holy Spirit had prompted them to pray and that in that act of obedience He enabled them to forgive!!!! I love God!

Forgiving others is serious business for all Christ followers as roots of bitterness and resentment can quickly become strongholds in our lives. I am trying to teach my boys that unforgiveness has no place in the life of a Christian and as we seek God for help He is Faithful and Just to provide us with the ability to forgive supernaturally!!!!!!

22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”
24 Then Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me, that none of the things which you have spoken may come upon me.”
(Acts 8:22-24, New King James Version)

Comments

  1. It's so awesome to read about what God is teaching the boys. Praise God!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is TOO cool! Do you guys have Bible studies? I'm trying to read mine more but im really busy :( I'm getting better though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reviewing old blog posts and saw your comment for the first time.... How is your Bible reading going and is there any way that you need encouragement or prayer at this time in your life?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 125

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed